Saturday, February 7, 2015

New Day Job

It's been quite a week. It all happened so fast, my head is still spinning. The big news is that I have a new day job that I started yesterday. It's for a distribution company that deals with convenience store products. Full time Marketing and Event Planning position.  I went for the interview and they hired me on the spot. I'm sure it had something to do with the great hair color & cut my brother gave me the night before, the "magic black boots" I had to borrow from a friend, and the fact that the previous designer that worked there is a friend of mine, that worked under me at a different job, and gave them a high recommendation for me before I even walked in the door.

It's a real full-time job, with benefits and a decent starting salary. I am so thrilled to have the job. I will be doing some things that I have not done "design wise" before, which will be interesting, and the trade show/company meetings they have once a year is the "event planning", which will take place in March.  I'm designing things for that like banners, posters, name tags, etc, and will be doing all the decorating (flower arrangements and decorations) for the meetings, meals and parties. The event is held at a big casino not too far from here.

Having to get dressed and go to work outside the house is a big change after four years of working from home. I was exhausted when I got home last night, but I am sure that was just the emotional stress of starting a new job. The people were all very nice and friendly. There is a temp designer that worked there for two months that is helping me get up to speed before she leaves next friday for another job.

The next couple of weeks are going to be crazy busy, as I will have to "moon-light" to get the designer who takes over for me at my other job up to speed and ready to take over that position, plus work the new job. But the magazines went to press on Thursday, so these would have been slow weeks for me at that job, and it shouldn't be too big of a problem. The timing for this for them was very bad, my old "boss" was in a car crash and has been in the hospital for over a week. I felt bad having to tell him I was quitting, but I have to do what is best for my family. Besides, he occasionally told me that "if the job wasn't working any more, that he wouldn't have any problems replacing me." We shall see.

Anyway, if I don't post on this blog very frequently for a while, there is no need for concern, now you know why. :)


  1. Congratulations! I hope this job works out well and is less stressful than the last one.

    Keep drawing daily (even a small doodle) to keep sane during the transition :)

  2. Thank you Theta, I will keep drawing... I love it too much to give it up, and I plan to get up early enough every day to get ready and have a little time before I leave to sip a cup of coffee, and do a little drawing before I start my day, it worked out great on Friday. :)